Citation:
Kimmel, Eric A. The Gingerbread Man. New York: Holiday House, 1993.
ISBN: 9780823408245
Plot Summary:
An old woman and an old man decide to make some gingerbread. From the gingerbread, they fashion the Gingerbread Man with licorice eyes and peppermint buttons! Once the Gingerbread Man is complete, he instantly runs away from the old woman and old man. He runs down the street past a variety of animals. Each animal he passes attempts to stop the Gingerbread Man to talk to him and run after him! Finally, the Gingerbread Man meets a sly fox who tricks the Gingerbread Man into the river with him. The fox convinces the Gingerbread Man to get closer and closer to his mouth, where the Gingerbread Man meets his end!
Critical Analysis:
The story has a repetitive phrase which young readers are sure to catch on to "I'll run and run as fast as I can. You can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man! I ran from the woman, I ran from the man, I'll run from you. See if I can!" This particular folktale has little magical elements. The Gingerbread Man is baked by the old woman and old man traditionally and unexpectedly comes to life and runs away! The Gingerbread Man and all the animals encountered in the tale are personified. The story keeps with the traditional characterization of foxes as sly, cunning manipulators. All the other animals state that they want to "talk" to the Gingerbread Man and he gives them no chance at all! Somehow the fox manages to converse with the Gingerbread Man and tricks him into the water.
Review Excerpts:
School Library Journal: "Kimmel brings humor and warmth to the retelling of this spicy classic. His text has a fast-paced rhythm that is perfect for read-alouds or storytelling. The deft prose has a strong narrative, good dialogue, and a fine chorus from the Gingerbread Man himself."
Connections:
*The Gingerbread Man is a classic tale that children of all ages love! The story would make a great interactive reading where children pretend to be the different animals the Gingerbread Man outruns.
*Variants/Versions of "The Gingerbread Man"
The Runaway Tortilla by Eric A. Kimmel
ISBN: 9781588370228
The Matzo Ball Boy by Lisa Shulman
ISBN: 9780525471691
No comments:
Post a Comment